The FDM portal has a built in, powerful file manager to help you keep track of your files and manage them as efficiently as possible. The file manager is based around a sortable table that allows you to download, view and delete your files and keep them organised.
The file manager is located on the same page as the file uploader, directly underneath.
Be default the file manager is displayed in Standard Mode but there is an alternative Simple Mode for special circumstances which we’ll cover later. First lets have a look at Standard mode.
The standard FDM file manager is effectively a sortable table of your files. There are a number of features built in that let you find the files you require as easily as possible.
- Filter – This allows you to filter the files by category. Select the category you wish to view from the drop down list and click Filter.
- Search – Search for a specific file using the search box. Type the file name and hit search.
- Table headers – There are 4 sortable headers in the table: File Name, Added, Last Download & Category. Click on the header to sort the table by that criteria. Click it again to reverse the direction.
- Pagination. The file manager will, by default, display 10 files at a time. If you have more that 10 files on your portal the file manager then you will see the pagination options appear at the top and bottom of the table. Click the number of the page you wish to view or next / previous to scroll through them.
The other 2 columns in the table are:
- File preview – The left hand column offers a small preview of the file type. For Images you can hover over the preview for a larger preview of the file contents. Hi-vote will attempt to identify the type of file and apply the relevant icon for files it recognises. If Hi-vote does not recognise the file type it will use a grey question mark icon (?).
- Actions – The right hand column in the table offers you various actions that you can perform for each file on the portal. Depending on the file type you will have either 2 or 3 actions available for each file. These are:
- Download – The download button is symbolised by a green downwards arrow. To download a file, simply click on the green arrow.
- Delete – The delete button is symbolised by a red X. To delete a file click on the red X. When you click on the X a pop-up box will ask you to confirm if you want to delete the file.
- Preview – This icon will only appear next to images and PDF’s and is symbolised by a small document with a magnifying glass. To preview an image or PDF before downloading it, click on the preview icon and the image or PDF will open in a tab. For more information on Tabs see the introduction of this course.
Finally, located in the bottom right hand corner, just under the table, is the total number of files that you have saved on the FDM portal.
NOTE: If you are using Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) or certain versions of Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) the action buttons may not function or may not even display. This is due to Internet Explorer not working in the same way as other browsers, and in particular, the older versions of internet explorer not having the functionality to display certain icons. If you are using an older version of Internet Explorer and the icons do not display on your computer, you can use the Simple Mode of the file manager. See Simple Mode below.
For some clients, the Actions part of the file manager will not display. Typically this is because of older and out of date web-browsers like Internet Explorer 8 which is still quite common across a lot of local governments in the UK. If you are able to use a different browser we strongly suggest doing so as you will be able to use all of the features that Hi-vote offers.
If you cannot use a more up to date browser and Standard mode isn’t working for you, you can use Simple Mode to Download & Delete files.
To Access Simple Mode:
- Under the title Your Files you will see 2 buttons titles Standard Mode & Simple Mode.
- Standard mode will be blue by default.
- Click on Simple Mode to view the files in Simple Mode.
Simple Mode displays your files in a basic list under the category headings that they have been assigned to (see screenshot below).
To download a file in simple mode simply click on it’s name.
To delete a file in simple mode, click delete next to the file name.
Unless otherwise agreed all files on the FDM portal will be deleted after 30 days. If you would like us to store your files for longer than 30 days, please contact your Account Manager.